Saturday, March 9, 2013


The very next moment a dark, geeky looking man entered swiftly into the classroom. Barely two steps inside, he turned back and closed the door. He shouted from the inside - 'Those who were standing outside shall remain outside for the rest of my class'. I would have loved to see their expressions, but alas I was inside. My sense of pride reinvigorated me.

'I am Professor B.K. Mishra and I will teach you mathematics. Now if everybody can stand up and introduce themselves. I would like to know your name, the city you hail from, and your marks in mathematics in the board exam.'  You could see the curiosity in his eyes. He was eager to form a judgement. Eager to pick the eagles.

He pointed to the only girl he could find sitting in the classroom - ' We can start from you'. The girl, caught a little off guard, stood up - 'Yes sir. Okay sir. Tanvi. Delhi. 99.' The professor looked satisfied. She'd set the format for everybody. It was rather convenient blurting out three things in three words, that you wouldn't not know about yourself unless you were retarded. 


The class introduced themselves one after the other, till it finally came to me. Although it was just three words, I was a bit nervous. After all this was my first formal introduction in any place of significance. Opinions were being formed. May be I was just over thinking. I put myself together to stand up and introduce myself.

A body like mine made standing up look like a conspicuous piece of exercise. By the time I managed to transfer my weight from the chair to my feet, I had already won the pinching glare of the entire class. Of all the faces, there was one that unnerved me the most. She looked right at me, expressionless. May be she didn't recollect. Or may be she did.

My throat dried up. Infinite parallel thoughts started running inside my head. So consumed I was by my embarrassment that I almost forgot the reason for which I stood up in the first place. The professor looked at me with keen eyes.

'Sir, myself Amit. I am from DPS RK Puram. In my boards, I got 95 % in Mathematics and 93 % overall'
Her lips twitched a little. I realized immediately that I had, without meaning to, broken away from the conventional introduction ritual. She sniggered at the extra information I had volunteered. Why couldn't I have just said Amit, Delhi, 95%. Amit, Delhi, 95%, I repeated in my mind. I wondered if I should correct myself aloud. I looked at the professor to check if he felt similarly. The professor looked least bothered.
The guy infront of me stood up.
'Sir myself Ankit, I'm from Bal Bharti School, Delhi. 99% in Boards'

I felt a flush of relief as I sat down. He had chosen to follow me. I was the trendsetter here, the cool guy, the one who everyone emulates.

Almost involuntarily I looked at her reaffirmation. She was staring at Ankit from Bal Bharti expressionlessly. She must be embarrassed and trying to avoid looking at me, I concluded. I felt a little triumphant.   


 (If at all there is somebody who rememberes seeing this smwhere else, Yes the beginning is copied, the end is not :) )





































No comments:

Post a Comment